Sunday, April 03, 2005

Social Networks

Also posted on my blog

I have an obsession of joining Social Networking sites. Started with Orkut. Then joined hi5, Gazzag, Multiply, Yahoo 360 degrees and myWallop. So been there and seen it all. Time for a comparison.

To tell you the truth, none of them is perfect enough to make me ditch the others. Orkut has its own charm. It was the first one in the list and thus has memories/sentiments associated with it. It also gave me a bunch of good online friends, the whole TLTE and a few others. I learned alot from the discussions in various communities. Have grown alot in these few months. I have always been the shy-guy kinds, and although it hasnt changed my nature totally, there have been definite positive discernable changes. All these and many other are the reasons why I came back to the Orkut even though I probably shouldn't have.

But damn Google people take years to get a service out of Beta! Why are they so slow? The countless Server Errors, 502s, and No donuts piss me alot. So I tried the other sites (well also out of curiousity). The ones need mention are Yahoo 360 degrees and Microsoft Research's mywallop.

The reasons Yahoo 360 rocks is because it integrates various Yahoo services that I already use like - yahoo groups, yahoo messenger, yahoo photos etc. They also plan to let me publish my blog on my 360 webpage. The reason its not THE ONE is because they still havent integrated Flickr, yahoo calender and yahoo groups' discussions are not threaded (like in orkut) due to which its a big pain going through a long discussion.

The reasons why mywallop is attractive is because it lets you share mp3s :)! So upload the latest of what you like and everyone in your network can listen to it. The other good thing about wallop is its interface. Its very easy to use and pretty slick. Why its not THE ONE? The functionalities are limited and again, there are no Communities or Scraps like Orkut has.

One more reason reason why Orkut scores over both these service is because the design is such that its easier to meet and encounter strangers. So its more likely to find people sharing similar interests and making friends with them on Orkut than on any other site. You interact with them in public (on communities), then after a while get used to their thinking and nature, after which its easy to pick friends.

But what good is of having so much functionality but not implementing them well? As good as not having them will be an overstatement, but that still kills half the charm.

So I have come up with a hack. As long as Orkut doesnt rectify its countless bugs, as long as Yahoo 360 people and mywallop people dont integrate more functionalities, I am gonna enjoy the best of all three. Will keep myself alive on all three, using only the functionalities that differentiate them and keep them in my goodbooks.

And I urge you to do the same ;)

Until ofcourse someone sees the light and gives us users a better alternative.

Amen!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ritesh said...

@Ted: I post mp3s of songs that I like and want to share on mywallop, update blasts and blog on 360 degrees and visit Communities and fill up scraps on Orkut. All different type of tasks, so there is no overlap involved. So its quite manageable.

April 03, 2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger Kanupriya said...

Good for you, Ritz dear. I dont have time for even one of them!

Guys, wish me luck! [:(]

April 04, 2005 10:00 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

kanu:

hamara aashirwaad hamesha tumhare saath hai,baalike!![:D]

April 05, 2005 12:13 AM  
Blogger BD said...

mywallop sucks

April 05, 2005 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home